Sunday, March 15, 2009

O Beautiful for Spacious Skies.....and amber waves of grain on the farm!

I have to admit that since I've gotten older I am becoming more patriotic! I get chills when I hear certain renditions of "O Beautiful for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain........for purple mountains majesties, above the fruited plain......America, America, God shed his grace on thee.....and crown thy good with brotherhood from sea to shining sea."

We watched the shuttle launch tonight from our field of amber grain (which was actually green rye grass--did I tell you one of the baby names on our list for Carter was Rye?, anyhow, that's another story). I got chills as I watched the shuttle launch! Look at these awesome pictures I captured from our field!







I just can't help but feeling nostalgic about the whole American Dream and what it really means to be a farmer. Cecil works SO HARD day in and day out and many people never truly realize what a sacrifice he makes--farmers truly do feed America. No Farmers, No Food. While we were gathering up our "stuff" (i.e. the kids) to head back to the house for bedtime, I grabbed these few shots of our fields of rye grass....gorgeous if you ask me.....






....Oh Beautiful for spacious skies for amber waves of grain...........

2 comments:

  1. great pics! We were on our way home from gainesville on 121, and there were cars pulled off on both sides of the road... we couldnt figure out what they were doing, until devin looked out his window and saw the shuttle launch... awesome... the rye grass is beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way! The older I get the more patriotic I get...maybe it's just the state of our country right now that also contributes...yikes....Great pictures of your field! As for the name Rye, I have a cousin named Rye Irby and I have always thought it was a cool name!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one and treasure every word!