Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Baked Potato Soup - it's good for what ails ya!

I posted yesterday about my menu for the week and a couple girls ask for the recipe for the baked potato soup.  I also had a few emails about it.

Y'all.  It's the BEST SOUP EVER.  No pictures, but here ya go....

4 medium baked potatoes (I use about 6 and I bake mine in the microwave)
2 slices bacon (2 is never enough.  I'll just let you know that right up front)
1/2 cup green onions with tops, thinly sliced (I don't use the whole green part, just a little)
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
1 1/2 cups milk
1 garlic clove, pressed (I just use garlic powder most of the time)
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp pepper (or to taste)
1 cup sour cream (or more like 1 1/4 cups)
cheddar cheese, shredded

After you have baked the potatoes, remove the skins.  Coarsely mash the potatoes.

Here's where it gets tricky.....if you want to use bacon grease in your soup, then fry the bacon.  If not, please do yourself a favor and buy the bacon in the package near the salad dressings.  (Real bacon, NOT bacon bits).  I never fry my bacon because I don't feel  like this soup needs the grease, but to each his own.

Anyhow--If you fry your bacon, then you'll want to remove the bacon from the pan, then add your broth, milk, mashed potatoes, onions, garlic, salt, and pepper.  Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat, then simmer for 10 minutes.  If you DO NOT fry your bacon, just add the ingredients above to a pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Once the soup has simmered and you see it thickening just a bit, stir in the sour cream and reserved bacon.  I let it simmer a few more minutes after I add the sour cream and bacon.

Ladle the soup into nice, big bowls, and sprinkle the cheese on top!  (I always sprinkle, cheese, a few more onions, and some more bacon on top).

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one and treasure every word!